It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of a life you have lived.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Grandma's Backyard Olympics

One of my grandsons had a birthday on Sunday, so on Saturday we had a backyard olympics for his birthday party. It was kind of crazy but I think the kids all had fun. We had 9 individual events, 1 team event and a pentathlon. There was the peanut toss, the shot put, the discus throw, the javelin throw, the hurdles, the 15 yard dash, long jump, the limbo, a squirt gun shoot, and a tug-of-war. For the pentathlon, they started at the deck and walked backwards to the 1st station, then did the inchworm walk to the next station, then had to carry a styrofoam ball on a spoon to the next one, then crab walk to the next one, and then finally hop on one foot all the way back to the deck. We had 6 grandkids involved, ranging from 2 years to 8 years, so there was a big difference in abilities. I tried to make sure the teams were as evenly matched as possible, and of course the little ones had some help, but everyone had fun. I bought a bunch of metal washers in 2 different sizes and hung them on ribbons for the awards, and we had a little stool that the 1st place winner stood on while the others stood to the sides, and we da-da-da'd the Star Spangled Banner while we gave awards after each event. My daughter-in- law video taped it, so we will have some good memories to look back at in the future. Because I was the one running the show, my camera got no photos, but they are supposed to send me a CD with the photos on it and a DVD of the video. As soon as they send me some pics, I will post a few.

Also for Hal's birthday, Grandpa and I took everyone to the movies to see Wall-E. It was not quite what I expected, but it was a cute movie. The kids really liked it a lot. I suppose that when it comes out on DVD we will have to buy it for when the kids visit.

The family has all gone home now. They were supposed to stay for another week, but the girls missed their husbands too much, and wanted to spend the 4th of July with them at home. I don't blame them for that, and the valley where they all live has a really big celebration for the 4th every year. In fact, I will miss it. It starts early in the morning with the raising of the flag, then breakfast, entertainment, games, and a watermelon bust. Then a break in the afternoon, followed by a dinner, entertainment, some community awards, and finally the fireworks. It's a great day for everyone, and there is no cost! The committee sells T-shirts (which are designed by a contest winner in the community) and gathers donations all year, plus they apply for grants, so that everyone can participate, regardless of economic status. Isn't that wonderful? That's the way America should be.

As the holiday approaches, I will be writing more about America, and how I feel about this great land of ours. For now I will say toodle-oo, and hug one of those loved ones. You'll not only make their day, but yours as well. 'Bye for now, Gramma G.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you. Please come back and comment often. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...