It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of a life you have lived.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Family is Here!!!

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!! It's 10:48pm and I am sitting in my living room with 7 rugrats lined up on the floor, so wound up that who knows when they'll get to sleep. We put on Alvin and the Chipmunks for them to watch, and hopefully they'll settle down and go to sleep soon. Plans had a little change, and the two oldest aren't going home until next Thursday, so we'll be like this for another 4 or 5 days. My two daughters from Nevada are loving the weather, and are going to sleep on the trampoline. It's been 104 and 105 degrees in southern Nevada this week, and they are loving our nice, cool weather. The youngest grandson, who is 2, is in his bed, but out here I have one 3, one 4, one 6, one 7, one 8, one 13 and one 15. My 8-yr-old Hannah stayed at home to go to camp. If we had the three from Tennessee here, we'd have them all.

The change of plans for Alex and Cyd is due to the price of gas and the price of air fare to Las Vegas. We have a small, not-too-well-known airlines that flies out of Missoula straight to Vegas, and on certain days, airfare is only $29. Of course, there's the taxes and fees, etc. etc. etc. But to fly the two of them it is costing $132, which is about half of what it would cost me to take them just halfway (to Ogden, UT, where their dad would pick them up). Then there's the money my son would have to pay for gas, too, so $132 is CHEAP! I may go crazy in the mean time, though. (I may run out of food, too.)

All kidding aside, we are really glad to have them here. Cydney will no longer be bored all the time, and Alex will have someone else to occupy him. Grandpa and I may have to run away every once in a while, but it will be fun. We'll have to take them to the park every day or somewhere where they can wear themselves out. I'm worn out just thinking about it! On Wednesday we're having the missionaries over for dinner, and I have no idea where we'll put everyone. I think we'll eat in the backyard, maybe. With the weather this nice, we could do that easily.

I miss my mother. She's been gone 19 years this coming September, but I still miss her. This would have been just her cup of tea. She was never happier than when she was surrounded by her grandchildren. I was her only daughter, so my five were her only grandchildren. They loved her and they knew she loved them, even though she wasn't an old softie. She kept them in line when they were at her house, but she also gave them room to be themselves. She fostered their creativity, and urged each one to find their own potential and explore it. She encouraged them to be the best they could be (kind of like the Marine Corps). She taught them games that built intelligence and skills and they didn't even realize it was happening! I hope I can measure up to her standards and do the same with my grandkids.

And she was brave. At this time of year, when so many towns across America are having their American Cancer Society Relay for Life, I think about her a lot. She suffered from cancer for a year before she died, but she always had a smile. She gave her wig a name, and went about her business as if everything were the way it was supposed to be. My dad had cancer, too, but died from a heart attack instead, four years before mom, so she basically braved this horrible disease alone. My kids miss her as much as I do, and we will miss her for the rest of our lives.

Speaking of Relay for Life, if you haven't been to one, either as a team member or as a supporter, you should find the one closest to you and attend. You will have fun and get to donate to a worthy cause, all at the same time. You will be fed, both physically and spiritually. You will get to meet people and hear stories of great strength and courage. There will be survivors and their families there, along with family members of those not so fortunate. And a good lot of those who just believe its a good cause and will throw themselves into it with heart and soul. A lot of money is raised every year for cancer research, along with other programs that benefit cancer patients, so go and enjoy yourself and support the cause!

Well, it's really late, or should I say really early, so I better get to bed or I won't make it to church in the morning. I didn't go last week because the two grandkids, just coming from a week of camping at Yellowstone, had no church clothes. But when I don't get my weekly dose of spirituality, it just messes up my whole week, so I told the family I was going tomorrow, whether anyone went with me or not! So goodnight all, and remember, if you love someone you need to tell them. Oh, and here come the girls in the house. It just started raining! 'Night, Gramma G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you. Please come back and comment often. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...