It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of a life you have lived.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

It's Just Life

Life is getting back to normal, whatever that means. The house is getting cleaned and put back together, things have calmed down, the kids are calming down, too. Somebody told me today that Montana has two seasons; winter and company. I find that pretty funny.

Today was story time at the library. I'm a volunteer helper and I usually help with the arts and crafts projects. Today I also had the snack assignment, so it was pretty hectic. The summer reading program is in full swing and this year's theme is bugs. Everything is just buggy. This week was bees, so I made honey cookies in the shape of bees. I don't know if I'll ever do that again! I started out to make beehives with little bees on them, but I couldn't find those little bees I used to buy that were made out of black and yellow pipe cleaners with little transparent wings. Remember those? My daughter works at Wal*Mart and gets off at 10:30 at night, so I called her and sent her all over the store looking for something I could use. (This would be because I forgot until yesterday afternoon that I had to do the snack.) It was really qiute funny. For me, anyway, I don't know about her. First she looked for the bees, in two different places, then I sent her to look for cookie cutters, and guess what? No bees! Then she looked at the kid's crafts for foamy bugs, and there were dragonflies and lady bugs and butterflies, but, you guessed it! No bees! We thought about using a rubber stamp with food coloring and a few other ideas, but wound up getting some black and yellow frosting is those little tubes for stripes on the bees I made by hand. I used a heart cookie cutter for the wings, and rolled the bodies and heads and smashed them all together. The kids really liked them, so all the work was worth it, but staying up until 4 in the morning to make a snack is ridiculous!

She (my daughter) is off tomorrow and Friday, so I will get a little break from the boys. I love them with all my heart, but I'm 53 years old, and I'm supposed to be past this raising children phase! It wears me out. I go to bed exhausted and I get up tired. Where's the fun in that? I would like to find something worthwhile, that I like, to do with the rest of my life. Not that the boys aren't a worthwhile endeavor, because they are, but I would like something more now that my own children are all raised. I would like to write children's books, or have a children's craft show on some little obscure TV station, or own my own bookstore or craft store. Some of the things that I've dreamed of but never had the time or gumption to try. I've wanted to have a crafter's bed and breakfast for years now, but have no capitol. I think it would be so much fun (along with a lot of work). I would arrange for craft classes and workshops of all kinds. It would be great! But it takes a lot of money! Oh well. Enough of that subject. I'm sure I will still be doing the same old thing when it's my time to go. That's life.

Before I go, here is the recipe for the Honey Cookies. These cookies are better with age, so make them a few days before you need them. These cookies are not too sweet, and have a lot of body, which make them excellent for making a cookie tree, you know those that are made with about 8 or 9 different sizes of star cookie cutters all stacked up. Anyway, the recipe:

Grandma's Honey Cookies
1 cup honey
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten well
1 tsp soda
5 cups flour
Mix ingredients well and refrigerate over night. Roll and cut out. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

Well, it's my time to go for now. I'm tired and things are getting a little blurry. Remember to pass along a smile. You can change the world one smile at a time. 'Night.....Gramma G.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you. Please come back and comment often. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...