It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of a life you have lived.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Pumpkin Patch Album

It's Monday again, the beginning of a new week. And for me, a new challenge. I have decided it's time for me to read the Book Of Mormon! I am ashamed to say that I am 56, almost 57, and I have never read it from cover to cover. I fell like such a slacker, but I know I'm not the only one, so if you haven't read it either, join me for the challenge. I plan to have read the whole book by the end of the year! I looked at my old copy of just the Book of Mormon yesterday and thought to myself, why haven't I read this? It is the foundation of my beliefs, a testament of Christ, the story of the peoples who lived on this continent where I now live. If this were a well-written mystery, I would have it read in a matter of hours. A really complicated novel  might take a few more days, but I've been trying to read this one for 30 years! What is taking so long? So that's my challenge to anyone of you who is LDS and hasn't read the Book of Mormon yet. Get busy! Let me know if you are going to take the challenge and we will keep track of one another.

This weekend was a lazy one, which was nice after the busy month we've had.. I love holidays, but I really like them when they're over, too. And this time of year, we don't get much of a respite, so I try to take advantage of what little down time we DO get. I've had two little projects going this last week and I finished them up this weekend. Well, I finished one of them. The other one is actually just getting started, But we'll come back to that. The first project was a little album for the pumpkin patch and carving pictures. I started out with a really big tag, and built the book from that. I had two terra cotta colored pieces of really heavy cardstock that I used for the cover. .I cut 5 tag pages from different fall colors of cardstock and then arranged them in a pleasing order.



I used a photo of part of the pumpkin patch on the front, and I didn't have enough letters from any one font to make the title, so I mixed them all up. I painted and antiqued and gilded and stamp-padded until I got the look I wanted. Then I took all my photos and decided what order I wanted them in and started on the pages. I knew I wouldn't use all my photos, but I printed them all anyway so I was free to choose while I created. For me, its easier that way.







I still want to add a few little embellishments, like some little bats on the page with the black silhouette tree, and something sparkly on the last page, I'm not sure what. But its basically done and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.


The other project I finished last night. Kind of.....Its my gratitude journal for November, and now that the book is done, the project is really just beginning. Remember I said last week that I was going to make one. I decided to make the cover really simple, because its what's inside that matters, not what's on the cover. I used a Crayola sketchbook for my base, because I plan to paint and draw and doodle and whatever takes my fancy. Like a gratitude Art journal, so I wanted paper that would hold up to all those things. I removed the spiral binding so I could cover the cover. (hee-hee) Make that covers, because I did the back cover, too. Then I tied some ribbon and jute and glued on the letters. I liked the title on the pumpkin book, so I did the same thing on this one. I like it a lot. Now I have to catch up on my writing. Show you some later.


Well, that's all for today. It was a pretty fruitful weekend and I'm feeling better about myself, too. Remember, if you think you can, you can, and if you think you can't, you're right! You choose what side you're on. Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you. Please come back and comment often. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...