It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of a life you have lived.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 6 of the Twelve Days of Christmas

Day 6 is a merry day! I love, love, love today's project!!! And they are so simple to make. I call them my Joy Blocks, which is not very original, I know, but it fits and it's easy to remember.


You start with 4 2x4's in these sizes: 3", 4", 5", and 6". Sand them until they are smooth and paint them as shown. The 3" and 4" blocks are white, the 5" is red and the 6" is green. Put on at least two coats, letting them dry in between coats. Spray them with acrylic spray and then antique them with some wood stain if you want. Let them dry until the stain is absolutely dry, or it will stain your paper, too. Cut some scraps of Christmas paper to go on the edges, and decoupage it on. I used green paper on the red block and red paper on the green block. I didn't do the edges of the white blocks. I did the front of the 4" block, and then tied a ribbon around the 3" block so it looks like a package.  Let it dry thoroughly and then sand the edges a little or a lot, depending on how you want it to look. I only sanded mine until the edges of the paper were smooth. I didn't want the primitive look on these, so I didn't sand down to the wood, but you could, if that's the look you want. Then I spattered the red and green blocks with white paint, and the white 3" block with red and green paint.


The plastic candy cane I used for the J was too long, so I cut it off and then used the barbecue lighter to melt it a little bit and round the edges. I tied a silver bow at the top to form the cross bar.


The O wreath is another of the photo rings like I used on day 3. I covered it with gold ribbon and put a pine sprig and some berries on it. On the 3" block, paint the words, "to the world". You can use fancy script, or vinyl letters, or whatever you like, then tie a wide ribbon around it to make it into a package.


The Y is a button snowman with his arms raised to form the Y. Only I didn't use just buttons. I used one button and two glass bubbles. I put white felt on the back of the glass bubbles, and then I used fabric paint to paint little buttons, a coal mouth, eyes and a carrot nose. I went outside and found a couple of little sticks that I trimmed to the size I needed, cut some felt into a hat and scarf, and glued them to the snowman. I glued a little pom-pom to the hat.


I think I'll have to make a few more sets of these to give as gifts. I think they turned out really cute. Make yourself a batch and have some fun!

We're half way through the twelve days! I hope you will join me tomorrow for the next project. It's a fast and easy one that your kids will like, too. Until then, remember....when you think all is lost, the future remains. See ya tomorrow!
                                




This post is linked to:
Rook No. 17 A Little Birdie Told Me...No. 48 at  http://www.rookno17.com/2011/11/3-charming-holiday-crafts-little-birdie.html
Motivate Me Monday #100 at Keeping It Simple
Christmas Cheer Link Party at Hi Sugarplum
Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative

1 comment:

  1. Your joy blocks are so jolly, festive, and beautifully made! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity and talent on "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday at Rook No. 17!

    Warmest wishes,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you. Please come back and comment often. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...