It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of a life you have lived.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Back in Nevada again...

Cameron and Halena in their "Oregon hats". Ahhhh, Christmas in the motorhome...
Well, I'm back in Nevada putting the last finishing touches on the last two volumes of the book. If you ever think about writing a history book, think again! It's a long, long process. All the research, the actual writing, checking facts, trying to GET facts from people, waiting for people to "have the time" to get you histories and photos, etc. We've been working on this for 8 years, and we're finally going to call it done. We still don't have all the stories and photos we would like to have, but getting some people to cooperate is like pulling teeth from a yeti. NO FUN! I will breathe a lot easier, we both will, when we send the final draft off to the publisher and say, "Print it!" That is a really nice feeling. I think I would like to try my hand at some children's books, but I'm not sure how to go about getting them published, because I can't afford to self-publish. After seeing the costs of these books, I KNOW how expensive it is, plus you don't have the marketing team behind you if you self-publish. That hasn't been an obstacle with these books, because people have been waiting for them to get finished. The first 500 copies were gone in under three weeks! But I know that's NOT the norm. I'm going to do a little research into how to get published and see what I can find out.

I had planned on getting started on the ABC book again this week, but the photos are on my computer at home and I'm not there. I thought I put them on my thumb drive, but I can't find them, so that will have to wait until I get back home. I fly home on the 24th, and I can hardly wait!

Sometime in the next couple of days I will have a pattern for a cute little bee for you to make out of 1"x4" pine. Really easy and really cute. You can adjust the pattern to any size you want, so he can have many different uses. Large, he can hang on your door with a little sign that says BUZZ ON IN! Or he could be made small for a package topper for Visiting Teaching or for a neighbor gift. Put a magnet on the back and give him a little tag with your name and phone number that says "If you need anything, just give me a buzz!" I will make a sample and get a photo posted as soon as I can, but I'm at a disadvantage right now. I'm staying with my son while in Nevada, and I don't have any of my tools or supplies. It's very frustrating, but, I will do my best.

I've been looking up quotes for another project I have going, and I came across one I really like and thought you might, too. It doesn't have an author listed, unfortunately, but it goes like this.
"Any person who doesn't diligently discover where his talents and opportunities for the good of the world lie, and who doesn't devote himself to developing them, has missed the whole reason for his existence.

Have a good day and may all your socks match! Gramma G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you. Please come back and comment often. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...