It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of a life you have lived.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

I am an American!

I am the daughter of a career military man. My dad was in the Air Force for 21 years, so suffice it to say I am very patriotic. If you cut me, I bleed red, white and blue. I collect Americana. For years my home was decorated in red, white and blue, and it will be again. I painted my front door with a folk art flag. I have more red, white and blue clothes, and T-shirts with flags on them, than most people I know. I support my president, even when I think he's wrong, because I don't know the whole story. I may not vote for him again, but while he's in office, I support him. I think that we had to go to Iraq or have them come here (as if they aren't already here). I think that anyone who immigrates to America should have to learn the language and pledge their loyalty to her. Read this quote and see if you can guess who said it.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Pretty powerful, huh? And right to the point! America should be filled with Americans! We have only one flag, a perfectly good one, and we don't need any other. If you come here to work and send money "home" it should be to help your family come, too, not to support them in the old county with money that should be staying here. If you work here, you should pay taxes here. If you are not a citizen, or working on becoming a citizen, you should not be entitled to free health care, welfare, my social security, or anything else that I pay for and can't even use myself. If things were so bad in your country that you came to mine for a better life, then leave that life behind. Become wholly American.

I'm not saying to forget where you came from. Along with being a patriot, I am also a genealogy bug, so I believe that family history is important. But there is a difference between remembering your roots and parading in the streets of America with the flag of another country, complaining about the way you are treated, or the lack of amenities given to you. Being proud of your heritage is good, but expecting something for nothing because of it is NOT. Nowhere else in the world would you be given the freedom you enjoy here in America, along with the chance to work for a better life for you and your family. I think you should appreciate America, not defame her.

As Americans, we also have a responsibility to appreciate what we have. No, this country isn't perfect, nor is her government. But it is a far sight better than what you can find elsewhere in the world. That's why people lie and hide and use false paperwork to get here. Because we have what the rest of the world wants. We have way more than we need, and it has turned us into greedy monsters for whom nothing is enough. We blame our troubles on the politicians, but who put them in office? Or maybe we should ask ourselves, why didn't we put someone else there? Do you vote? Do you take the time to learn as much as you can about each candidate and what he believes? What has he done in his life? Is he faithful to his wife? Does he believe in God, and is he an active Christian? A candidate's character is just as important as his accomplishments, maybe even more so. Accomplishments come our way from others, those that put a value on our actions. But the actions that really count are the ones no one sees but God. The actions that make up our character. We need to watch what our politicians and leaders are doing when they think no one is looking. THAT is when we'll see their true natures.

One of my pet peeves is those Americans who don't vote and then complain about the way things go after the election. I say if you don't vote, you have no right to even voice an opinion, let alone complain. Each and every voice is necessary in the election process. If you don't voice your opinion by casting your vote, then you take what you get. The good, the bad and the ugly. There is always the chance that a good guy will turn bad, but all we can do is try to make an educated decision, and then if it turns out not to be the best decision, make a different one next time. Don't keep making the same mistake, thinking that things will change or get better, because in my experience, they don't! What's that old saying? Dumb is making the same mistake over and over and hoping for different results? Well, it doesn't happen and we just need to stop it. We need to take responsibility for the way our country is run, and not pass the buck.

Well, in case you can't tell, I have some strong feelings about America, and I am thankful that I have the freedom to voice them. You may not agree, and that's OK, because you have the same rights that I do, if you are a citizen of this great country. And if you are not, then you have NO RIGHT to say one word against her. If you don't like it here, go home, and see if it's any better there! I am thankful for freedom of speech and religion, for the right to vote and to assemble peaceably. I am thankful for the foresight of our forefathers when they made the constitution with a checks and balances system. I could go on all day, but I won't, because you have other things to do and so do I. I will just say one more thing....I am an American, and Proud of it! I hope you all have a nice (and safe) 4th of July, and remember to share the love. Your family will appreciate it! 'Night, Gramma G. (Oh yeah............ the quote is from a speech made in 1907 by Theodore Roosevelt!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you. Please come back and comment often. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...