It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of a life you have lived.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 5 of the Twelve Days of Christmas

Happy \Day 5! A while back I had a Friday Friends! post which featured a cute little cupcake stand from 9 to 5. I loved it so much that I wanted one of my own, but I wanted to be able to change it for the seasons or the reasons for using it. So I came up with this idea.


Go to the dollar store and look at all the glasses, goblets and plates and pick out what you like. Bring them home and wash them really well. I found some glass baubles for floral displays in clear and two colors of blue, and filled the goblet, but you could use just about anything. I think small colored Christmas balls would look really good. Take some white floral clay and roll it into a skinny snake and put it around the rim of the goblet. Floral clay is used to hold floral frogs and styrofoam in vases and bowls of water, so it is water proof and really sticky. Don't make your snake too big, because when you press the plate onto the goblet, which you will do now, it will spread, and you don't want it to get too wide and ugly.
(My clay looks lumpy because I forgot to take a picture before I put the plate on and I had to pull it back off). Now, press your plate onto your goblet or glass, being careful to center it the best you can. Press pretty hard so that the clay will adhere well and evenly.


It looks pretty nice, and the clay doesn't look out of place or anything. Now all you have to do is fill it up! Then, for the next holiday or event, you can take it apart and fill the goblet with something new and put the plate back on. You can wash it without it coming apart, but don't put it in the dishwasher. It won't hold up to that.



A large doily or several small ones make it look very nice.  I think it will be fun to see what I can come up with to put in the goblet, and you could make it with more than one tier, too! Use glass candle holders for the supports. You could also turn a small bowl upside down to use as your base, then put a plate, a candle holder and another plate. Be creative! I'll bet you can come up with lots of cute ideas.

Christmas is my favorite time of the year, and it seems to get the creative juices flowing for me. I hope it does for you, too. It also gets me thinking about family and friends that I haven't seen for a while and the new friends I've made this year. As Henry David Thoreau said, "The language of friendship is not words, but meanings," and I mean it when I say,  I count you all as my friends, and hope you count me as one, too. Until tomorrow,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you. Please come back and comment often. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...