It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of a life you have lived.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 8 of the 12 Days of Christmas!

This project is a little late for using this year, but it's a good thing to have afor next year...all year. Its a set of Countdown Blocks, and they can actually be used for other times of the year if you choose to make them that way.

You will need;
4 or 5 wooden blocks, anywhere from 2" to 4" square
Scrapbook papers of different colors and prints
Decoupage medium
Paint brush
Sandpaper and emery board
Adhesive letters and numbers or paint pens

Start by giving the blocks a light sanding. Cut the scrapbook papers in squares the size of your blocks. I used about 12 or 13 different designs, but I think when I make them again, I will use a different paper for each side of all my blocks, which means 24 papers for 4 blocks or 30 for 5 blocks. Using the decoupage medium, glue the papers to the blocks, trying not to get it on the front of the paper. Do four sides of each block, allowing each to dry while you work on another. Then go back and start with the first one you did and do the other two sides. Let them get really dry, probably overnight. Now, using the emery board, sandpaper or a sanding stick, sand the edges of the blocks, sanding the paper at the same time.
You can use a stamp pad or antiquing pad to darken the edges if you want. Mine are not done because all my supplies are in storage at the moment, but they will be done when I can get to them. If you darken the edges, you should spray the blocks with clear acrylic spray before the next step. Otherwise, the ink may run as you brush.

Now apply a coat of decoupage medium to each block. I use the matte finish, because the paper will still look like raw paper, but it will wipe clean! After its good and dry, you can apply your letters and numbers, or use paint pens to write your own. I couldn't find numbers large enough for my 4" block, and I can't find my paint pens so I used a Sharpie. I don't advise
e it! It doesn't look good. I will re-do it really soon! You can learn from my mistakes, and I just wish you could see the blocks at their best.

Now, for the layout for words and numbers.

Block #1........9, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Block #2.......1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 0
Block #3.......Days 'til, Merry, It's
Block #4.......Christmas! school's out, school starts, birthday(if using 5 blocks) or my birthday (if using 4 blocks)
Block #5.....my (Block 5 can also have things like a flower, a candle, a pencil, such things as that. I only used 5 blocks because I like the way they sit better.) I also had the idea of putting a velcro dot on one side of block #5, and then having little things made from felt to stick to it for different occasions.)
Children love to countdown to anything, so make the blocks with whatever days or events you like. Just have fun with them. And remember....gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas. Peg Bracken
I love my family and wish I could have them all together for the holidays again, but they are scattered all over the country, and that's not going to happen, so I plan to really enjoy those I do have near. I'm greatful for the blessings I have and wish you the same. 'Night, Gramma G.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you. Please come back and comment often. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...